Monday, September 29, 2008

Another week at our house....



Another week is over and we are definitely headed for a change in the season. We had changes and of course plenty of events this week at our house. My parents' dog "Bootsie" died this week which ends an era at thier house; all of the family pets that have been a fixture at the house and survived Stephen and I growing up are now gone. It was last year about this time that "my" childhood dog "Ty" died, so it has been a change only having Bootsie and so now this will be even more of a change with no dog at all at my parents' house. It will also be a change for the grandkids, as they have come to know these faithful companions that have been around for so long. It is funny how animals affect people young and old alike and how much of an attachment you can develop for them.
As Bootsie got older he got like all things that age, a little slower, a little deafer, a little blinder.... My Mom always made sure that he had plenty of food and water and always had a treat (a dinner table scrap) at night. This became a favorite trip of Duncan's to make- to go feed Bootsie. I don't know how much help he was, but he insisted on feeding Bootsie with Grandma on a regular basis. If nothing else, I hope he learned some compassion and patience. He was very cute with Bootsie, always walking up to him slowly(because he couldn't hear) and talking in a quiet little voice, as if Bootsie could hear him and him trying to be so gentle and pet him and talk to him so patiently and cute; "hello Bootsie, are you okay today?" was the usual one-way conversation, on an almost daily basis. I hope he remembers these things when Richard and I get old.....
Any way, that is the change around our house, but here are some pictures from our week. It was Homecoming Week at the High School, another load of pumpkins, Duncan thought the white ones in the cab of the truck were pretty cool, his cousins David and Logan came to pick out their pumpkins, I canned peaches and made jam, with the help of my "best helper" who was finally feeling better by Sunday after having the stomach flu for a few days, and there are just some random pictures of Duncan playing in the sandbox and driving the gator. Hope you all had a good week!!


7 comments:

Giselle Rasheta said...

Ooh, yum! Canned peaches are the best! Duncan will always have good memories of Bootsie, too, and it sounds like he was so sweet to that dog... Looks like you had a very busy week AGAIN and are busy and productive all the time! Keep it up...

Laura said...

Looks like it was a busy week. That is one big load of pumpkins! All the fun activites that fall brings...you've got to love this time of year.

Pays said...

I'm sorry to hear about Bootsie. Look at you canning peaches...you little homemaker:) Looks like a fun week!

Chelsea Johnson said...

The party never dies at your house! We definitely need to stop one of these times.

Billie Sue said...

It looks like you have been super busy! I'm sorry about the dog. I know how I felt when we have lost our two best dogs. I even said I wasn't getting another because I couldn't stand the pain of loosing one...but here we have three now! Love the animals! Hey, how much are the pumpkins? Maybe we'll have to plan a trip to the pumpkin patch and bring Dad down for a visit -- if we could get him to go!

Janessa said...

That's so sad about Bootsie. I hope Duncan's doing okay. What's the story with the pumpkins. I'm guessing somebody in your fam has a pumpkin farm and you guys help pick and sell them??? Am I close? I'm impressed with all your peaches. That's a lot of work! Good thing you have such a good helper!

Michelle said...

I found you! Rod just told me that you guys had started a blog. It's so fun to catch up on what ya'll been doin'. Sorry about Bootsie, it's hard to say good-bye to any kind of family member.